What is a Split Butterfly Valve?
A Split Butterfly Valve (SBV) or Containment Valve, provides a safe method of transferring product from one container or process vessel to another whilst minimising the levels of dust emission to the operating environment before, during and after the material transfer.
The SBV concept was originally designed as a Containment device for the contained transfer of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API’s) providing critical operator protection. Many different forms of 'Containment' are adopted within Pharmaceutical and Chemical manufacturing to create a barrier between the operator and the product being handled or processed. You can learn more about Containment, theory, practice and measurement on our Containment Theory page.
Today, the development of SBV technology has increased it’s suitability for a wider range of industry applications when not only dust control and containment is a concern but where product flow, yield and sterility issues are also prominent.
How does an SBV work?
The fundamental feature of all SBV’s is that they consist of two halves, namely the Active unit and the Passive unit. Each half consists of half of the ‘butterfly’ disc.
Typically the Active unit is attached to the stationary process equipment such as a reactor vessel, and the Passive unit is attached to the mobile container such as an IBC (Intermediate Bulk Container).
- The Active and Passive units are docked together.
- The two disc halves are locked in place to form a single sealed unit. The previously exposed interfaces are now sealed together.
- The Active unit is the driving half of the valve. Once operated (manual or automatic) the disc will open to allow the transfer of material through the valve. Once the transfer has taken place the valve is closed.
- The Active and Passive units are then unlocked and undocked ensuing a dust free transfer.
What are the benefits of using SBV technology?
- Process your API’s, ensuring the safety of the operating environment by maintaining the required OEL (Occupational Exposure Limit).
- Protect your sensitive products and help eliminate cross contamination.
- Eliminate dust in the processing of raw materials reducing costs associated with cleaning and downtime.
- Increase flow and yield from product transfers.
International: +44 151 728 4500
USA: +1 609 549 6165